To serve the logistics and cargo need of Dholera Special Investment Region (DSIR), the Gujarat government has planned to set up Dholera international airport in Navagam village of Taluka Dholera.
- The airport will have one 4,000 m runway, one 2,910 m runway, parallel taxiway, passenger terminal building, cargo terminal, apron-passenger aircraft, car park, hotel & convention centre, isolation bay and more
- Dholera region has been planned in a very careful manner and is well connected through all modes of transport including rail, road, metro and port
- Out of the six nodes identified in Gujarat under the Delhi–Mumbai Industrial Corridor, the Dholera Special Investment Region is the first one to be developed by Gujarat government
Gujarat is set to get a new greenfield airport named, the Dholera International Airport. The airport will be part of Gujarat’s first smart city project, the Dholera Special Investment Region (DSIR). The region is located 100 kilometres south-west of Ahmedabad. DSIR will be the global hub for economic activities with its world-class infrastructure and premium civic facilities.
Dholera International Airport Company Limited (DIACL), an SPV formed by the Gujarat government to facilitate the project in PPP mode with the help of Project Management Consultant, has decided to fast-track the airport project. Decks have already been cleared for work on the airport project.
It is to be noted that once fully operational, this airport is expected to have an annual capacity of 50 million passengers. The proposed airport will also handle the increasing traffic from the nearby cities like Vadodara, Rajkot, Bhavnagar, Nadiad and Anand and will propel an airport led economic growth in the entire region in line with other Aerotropolis worldwide.
Here are some key facts about the project that you need to know:
- 1. The airport will be built on 1,700 acres of land, 29 km from Dholera and 80 km from Ahmedabad. It is expected to decongest the Ahmedabad airport, which handles about 11 million passengers per annum, as against its capacity of 7 million passengers.
- 2. The airport will also cater to other regions of Rajkot, Vadodara, Bhavnagar, Kheda, Nadiad and Anand in Gujarat. The first phase of the airport is likely to become operational by 2024. 1,426 hectares of Government land has been reserved for Airport at Navagam Village of Dholera Taluka in Ahmedabad District.
- 3. The airport is proposed to have two huge runways. One of the runways is scheduled to be built in the first phase with a capacity to handle up to 30 million passengers per year. The second runway having a capacity of 20 million passengers per annum would be built under the second phase.
- 4. The Dholera region has been planned in a very careful manner and is well connected through all modes of transport including rail, road, metro and port. Dholera Airport shall enhance the connectivity manifold and also increase the investment potential of India’s first smart city.
- 5. The airport will have one 4,000 m runway, one 2,910 m runway, parallel taxiway, passenger terminal building, cargo terminal, apron-passenger aircraft, car park, hotel & convention centre, isolation bay, cooling pit, DVOR, airport approach road, night parking apron and green belt.
- 6. For the infrastructure development at Dholera SIR including the Dholera International Airport, the state government will be investing Rs 20,000 crore. The greenfield airport is going to be part of India’s 1st smart city.